Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL)
GENERAL ANESTHESIA, LOCAL + SEDATION OR LOCAL WITH NO SEDATION
- Do not drive or operate machinery for 24 hours.
- Do not consume alcohol, tranquilizers, sleeping medications, or a nonprescription medication for 24 hours.
- Do not make important decisions or sign any important papers in the next 24 hours. Have someone with you at home for 24 hours.
- Go directly home. Restrict your activities and rest for today.
- No strenuous activity or heavy lifting for ________________________
- You may return to normal activity as tolerated after 2-3 days.
- Specific activity instructions:____________________________
FLUIDS AND DIET
- Begin with clear liquids and light foods; then, progress diet as tolerated.
- Special diet instructions:_________________
- Use as directed:___________________________
- You may resume your daily prescription medication schedule.
- Do not resume COUMADIN until specifically instructed. You may resume in ______ days.
- Do not resume Ticlid/ticlodipine until specifically instructed. You may resume in ______ days.
- Do not take or resume ASPIRIN until specifically instructed. You may resume in ______ days.
- Use ice for the first 24 hours.
- You may notice bruising both in the front and back from the lithotripsy. This is normal and will usually resolve on its own.
- You may notice some bleeding from the lithotripsy site. Just apply a bandage/band-aid until it stops.
- Schedule an appointment with Dr. ______________ in ______ weeks. Come early to get an X-ray.
COMPLICATIONS TO WATCH FOR
- Fever over 101.3 degrees Fahrenheit by mouth.
- Rash, itching after taking pain medication.
- Pain not relieved by medication.
- Continued nausea and vomiting.
- Increased redness, warmth, hardness around the operative area.
- Inability to urinate.
- Please call your doctor if you have any problems or questions.
Take Control of Your Health
Book an appointment today and let one of our physicians examine your urological health. We are committed to providing you with the latest and most advanced healthcare.
Start typing and press enter to search