GENERAL ANESTHESIA, LOCAL + SEDATION OR LOCAL WITH NO SEDATION
- Do not drive or operate machinery for 24 hours.
- Do not consume alcohol, tranquilizers, sleeping medications, or a nonprescription medication for 24 hours.
- Do not make important decisions or sign any important papers in the next 24 hours. Have someone with you at home for 24 hours.
- Go directly home. Restrict your activities and rest for today.
- No strenuous activity or heavy lifting for ________________________
- You may return to normal activity as tolerated after 2-3 days.
- Specific activity instructions:____________________________
FLUIDS AND DIET
- Begin with clear liquids and light foods; then, progress diet as tolerated.
- Special diet instructions:_________________
- Use as directed:___________________________
- You may resume your daily prescription medication schedule.
- Do not resume COUMADIN until specifically instructed. You may resume in ______ days.
- Do not resume Ticlid/ticlodipine until specifically instructed. You may resume in ______ days.
- Do not take or resume ASPIRIN until specifically instructed. You may resume in ______ days.
- Use ice for the first 24 hours.
- You may notice bruising both in the front and back from the lithotripsy. This is normal and will usually resolve on its own.
- You may notice some bleeding from the lithotripsy site. Just apply a bandage/band-aid until it stops.
- Schedule an appointment with Dr. ______________ in ______ weeks. Come early to get an X-ray.
COMPLICATIONS TO WATCH FOR
- Fever over 101.3 degrees Fahrenheit by mouth.
- Rash, itching after taking pain medication.
- Pain not relieved by medication.
- Continued nausea and vomiting.
- Increased redness, warmth, hardness around the operative area.
- Inability to urinate.
- Please call your doctor if you have any problems or questions.