- If you have been given a sedative during the procedure, do not engage in activities that require alertness; no driving, machinery, or consumption of alcoholic beverages today or while taking narcotic pain medication.
- Wear a scrotal supporter or firm fitting underwear for 1-2 weeks. Thereafter, you may wear it as long as you are more comfortable with it than without it.
- You may remove the bulky dressing inside your supporter the day after the procedure. If you have some drainage from your incision, place a gauze sponge inside until it subsides.
- You may resume sexual intercourse when it is comfortable for you, usually five to seven days. Avoid strenuous physical exercise for 1-2 weeks, and gradually increase as tolerated. You may perform all other normal duties.
- You may shower in 48 hours. Do not scrub the area. Just let the soap and water run over your scrotal area. Do not take a bath or swim for 5-7 days.
- All stitches dissolve in 10-14 days. Your incision may not have stitches and the physician will inform you of this. You may notice a small separation of the incision and possibly a small amount of discharge or bleeding. Do not worry about this unless you develop signs of an infection or bleeding: fever, excessive redness, excessive swelling, foul smelling drainage or pain not relieved with pain medication.
- You have been given ________________________for pain. You can begin taking your medication at the first sign of discomfort and thereafter as directed.
- Apply an ice pack directly on top of the supporter when you get home (a bag of frozen vegetables works well). Use this for the next 12-24 hours. This will help keep the swelling down and provide pain relief.
- Continue to use birth control until you have been told that there are no sperm in your ejaculate. Generally, it takes approximately 20 ejaculations to clear the sperm or eight weeks. You need to bring a specimen to the office at 8-12 weeks to be checked. You can drop off the specimen at the office usually Tues., Wed. or Friday mornings are the best times. You do not need to be seen unless you have a problem or question. You will be called later in the day with the results.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to call us.
Take Control of Your Health
Book an appointment today and let one of our physicians examine your urological health. We are committed to providing you with the latest and most advanced healthcare.
Start typing and press enter to search