- Bring or wear loose fitting slacks or sweatpants.
- You may have a light breakfast the day of your procedure and may take any medications with sips of water.
- You may be receiving a sedative during the procedure. It is absolutely necessary that you have someone present at the time the procedure starts to drive you home. If you are unable to have someone with you, we will need to reschedule the procedure when you can have someone available.
- Please bring a scrotal support (jock strap) with you as it will be necessary to wear this immediately after the procedure.
- If you should have any questions concerning the procedure or the preparation for it, please feel free to call 569-6296.
- Do no take aspirin/aspirin containing products/ibuprofen/naprosyn, etc. for at least 10 days before the procedure.
The patient is placed in the supine position. He is then prepped using Betadine solution. The testicle is selected for the procedure. 2% Lidocaine is then injected into the anterior hemiscrotum overlying the testicle and along the spermatic cord. Once adequate anesthesia is obtained, the BARD biopsy gun/needle is placed on the anterior scrotum with the testicle delivered to this area. Needle core(s) is obtained. Pressure is then held for several minutes until the embryologist evaluated the specimen and sufficient numbers of appropriate sperm are confirmed. A 4 x 4 gauze is then applied as a dressing. The patient is then discharged.